Oxford Property Group

Nollamara Description


Nollamara is an Aboriginal word for the plant known as the "black kangaroo paw". Development in Nollamara did not commence in earnest until the late 1940's. Prior to World War II, land in the southern sector of Nollamara was used mainly for market gardens and poultry farms. The State Housing Commission resumed the area in 1950 as part of the Mirrabooka Satellite City project and the suburb was named in 1954. Despite the fact that the Mirrabooka project was never completed, over 2500 homes had been built in Nollamara by 1969.

Nollamara is generally characterised by single detached dwellings on small to medium sized lots. Construction styles vary from timber-framed character houses dating from the 1950's to modern brick and tile dwellings. Redevelopment is currently occurring in Nollamara, with many of the older homes being replaced by units and duplex developments. This is resulting in the reduced dominance of State Housing Commission properties.

Nollamara is well provided with public recreational areas. Several reserves offer a range of active and passive recreational opportunities, including cricket and football. The largest recreational area is the Des Penman Memorial Reserve, which contains a community recreational centre and facilities for lawn bowls and tennis. The Nollamara Shopping Centre is centrally located and provides for local daily needs. Primary schools are also located in Nollamara.