Oxford Property Group

Mount Hawthorn Description

Suburb Photos

The Mount Hawthorn area was first subdivided for urban development in 1887. In the late 1890s, part of it was purchased by a syndicate of E H Wittenoom, J A Hicks and C L W Clifton. The story is told that when this group subdivided their land in 1903, James Hicks called his portion of the subdivision Hawthorn Estate, as he had recently been in Melbourne and stayed at Hawthorne. Residents later were apparently dissatisfied with the name and as parts of it were on an eminence and to use the name Mount so and so was fashionable at that time (eg Mount Lawley). They then called it Mount Hawthorn.