Oxford Property Group

Midland Description


Midland is named after the Midland Railway Company, which in 1886 was contracted by the state government to build a railway line to Geraldton in return for grants of land. The company established its headquarters at the present site of Midland and the town grew around the Midland Railway and the government's Eastern Railway. A railway station of Midland Junction was opened here in 1894 but when the municipality was named in 1895, it was named Helena Vale. The railway station kept its name and so much confusion arose that the town was renamed Midland Junction in 1901 and finally shortened to Midland in 1961.