Oxford Property Group

Bibra Lake Description

The suburb of "Bibra Lake" takes its name from the extensive lake within its boundaries. The existence of the lake was first reported by A C Gregory during a survey of George Robb's land in May 1842. Gregory recorded the Aboriginal name of the lake as "Walubup". During the following year, Benedict Von Bibra, surveying his own selection on the southern shores of the lake, recorded the name as "Walliabup" and the latter version was used exclusively on maps for more than half a century. In 1877, it was found the Von Bibra's association with "Lake Walliabup" was apparently still recalled by locals who referred to the feature as "Bibra's Lake". This alternative name was added to plans and eventually in 1967, adopted in place of the Aboriginal name.